Upgrade Boosts Central Garden & Pet Shares
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Shares of Central Garden & Pet Co. advanced Wednesday after an analyst upgraded the stock to "Buy" from "Neutral," noting that the company appears to have "finally turned the corner" in overcoming high commodity costs and challenges related to weather.
SunTrust Robinson Humphrey analyst William Chappell hiked his rating for the garden and pet products company, citing lower grain costs for bird seed products and fewer droughts that have hampered the company's grass seed and pesticide line in recent years.
Bird seed primarily consists of grain. But, as demand for ethanol pushed grain commodity prices higher from 2006 to 2008, Central couldn't pass off price increases fast enough to keep up with rising costs, he wrote.Now, "it appears that the worst is behind the company in terms of commodity headwinds," Chappell wrote. Central's garden business should also benefit from a lack of severe droughts in the southeastern and southwestern United States. In the past few years, water shortages in those regions led officials to impose widespread watering restrictions, which curtailed gardening activities. "Why plant grass seed if you can't water it?" Chappell wrote. The company could also see a boost from the growing "staycation" trend, in which consumers spend more time and money around the home, and from management's efforts to cut costs, he wrote. Walnut Creek, Calif.-based Central shares rose 85 cents, or 8.8 percent, to $10.51 in afternoon trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV