Watson Pharma To Buy Arrow Group For $1.75B
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Watson Pharmaceuticals Inc. said Wednesday it will buy smaller generic drug maker Arrow Group for $1.75 billion in cash and stock, getting access to a promising drug candidate pipeline and new markets.
Watson of Morristown, N.J., said the combined company will have about $3 billion in annual revenue and do business in more than 20 countries. The company expects the transaction to close later this year, pending review by regulators, and add to its profit in 2010.
It said privately held Arrow is one of the fastest growing generic drug companies, with $647 million in sales in 2008. Arrow owns the U.S. rights to the authorized generic version of Pfizer Inc.'s cholesterol drug Lipitor, which is the best-selling brand-name drug in the world. The generic is expected to reach the market in November 2011.Arrow also sells a generic version of the blood pressure drug Altace, or ramipril, said Watson CEO Paul Bisaro. It is also one of the companies challenging the patent on AstraZeneca PLC's asthma drug Pulmicort, and has the right to start selling a generic version of Sepracor Inc.'s respiratory drug Xopenex starting in August 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV