Cell Therapeutics offered $134.50 in cash and 458 shares of common stock for each $1,000 in convertible debt -- a sweetened exchange offer but one that asked bondholders to accept much more common stock than cash.
The 46% acceptance rate suggests bondholders preferred more cash, which Cell Therapeutics doesn't have at the moment. This likely means the company will be forced to sell a significant amount of stock into the market, if possible, in order to raise enough cash to satisfy their debt obligations starting next year.
And even if Cell Therapeutics' can pay off its debt, the company will be forced to find ways to raise even more money if it hopes to build a commercial operation necessary to sell its cancer drug pixantrone, if the drug is approved by regulators late in 2009 or early 2010. Cell Therapeutics is expected to file pixantrone with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration by the end of the second quarter.
Cell Therapeutics already has 452 million shares outstanding as of the end of April. The company's shares closed Tuesday at $1.55.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV