RJ Reynolds Wins Patent Fight With Star Scientific
The Associated Press
A federal jury ruled on Tuesday that RJ Reynolds Tobacco Co. did not infringe on two patents claimed by Star Scientific for a tobacco-curing method. Star Scientific shares lost nearly 80 percent of their value in late trading.
Both companies said the jury in Baltimore found that the patents were invalid.
Star Scientific sued RJ Reynolds, a unit of North Carolina-based Reynolds American, in 2001 over a method of treating tobacco to prevent the formation of tobacco-specific nitrosamines.In March, the Supreme Court refused to hear the case, clearing the way for the trial that led to Tuesday's verdict in U.S. District Court in the Northern Division of Maryland. Petersburg, Va.-based Star Scientific said it would ask the district court judge to rule in its favor as a matter of law or for a new trial. Failing that, it said it would file a notice that it intends to appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals. Shares of Star Scientific Inc. closed at $4.21 before the verdict, but fell $3.33, or 79 percent, to 87 cents in late trading. Reynolds American shares fell 22 cents to close at $36.33, then rose 71 cents to $37.04 after the verdict in after-hours trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV