Tomorrow's Headliners: FedEx
Wednesday's session will be highlighted by the latest read on inflation at the consumer level, which will likely assuage the fears of those worried the Federal Reserve will be forced to raise interest rates, as well as earnings from FedEx (FDX).
At 8:30 a.m. EDT, the Labor Department will release its consumer price index. Economists expect the headline CPI number to have climbed 0.3% in May and the core number to rise only 0.1%, compared to 0.3% in April.
Some investors have been concerned that the central bank will have to raise the fed funds rate to combat rising inflation.
Meanwhile, Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke will speak at the Operation HOPE Global Financial Literacy Summit on Wednesday, offering comments on community development financial institutions.On the earnings front, FedEx is scheduled to report fiscal fourth-quarter earnings before the market opens. Analysts expect the company to report a profit of 52 cents a share on revenue of $8.34 billion, according to Thomson Reuters. That would compare to an adjusted profit of $1.45 a share on sales of about $9.87 billion in the year-ago quarter and earnings of 31 cents a share on revenue of $8.14 billion in the previous quarter. In other stock news, Mattel (MAT) will host an analyst day, while chief executives from Research in Motion (RIMM), Ford (F), Dow Chemical (DOW) and Waste Management (WMI) will be present at a summit convened by the Detroit Economic Club.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV