"Under-the-Radar Stocks" is a daily feature that uncovers little-known companies worthy of investors' consideration. Check in at 5 every morning to find out about stocks that tend to beat their bigger brethren.
Microsoft (MSFT), Oracle (ORCL), Dell (DELL) and Cisco (CSCO) will be obvious benefactors of a tech-investment rebound. But so will firms that help companies maximize their returns and streamline their computer systems.
Montreal-based CGI Group (GIB) is one of the largest independent information-technology and consulting firms in the world, despite having a market capitalization of just $2.6 billion. The company sells systems-integration and cost-reduction services that remain in demand even in a weak economy. CGI gains from large contracts with major players in financial services, manufacturing, retail, government, health care, telecommunications and utilities. It also has alliances with IBM (IBM), SAP (SAP), Microsoft and Sun Microsystems (JAVA). TheStreet.com Ratings upgraded CGI to "buy" on May 19. The company has boosted earnings per share for 10 straight quarters. Revenue rose 2% to C$950 million and earnings climbed 19% to 25 cents in the fiscal second quarter, which ended in March. The company eliminated nearly $134 million in long-term debt since the prior year's fiscal second quarter. It has also added $104 million in cash and cash equivalents to its balance sheet. CGI's no-dividend policy is an obvious weakness and a common downside of tech companies. CGI shares have climbed 18% this year, beating the Nasdaq's 15% gain. Despite the strong performance, CGI stock remains undervalued.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV