Idaho Supreme Court Hears Micron Price-fixing Case
BOISE, Idaho (AP) ¿ The Idaho Supreme Court heard arguments Friday on whether a shareholder's lawsuit against Micron Technology Inc.'s board of directors should be allowed to proceed.
The lawsuit, brought by Scott Orrock on behalf of the company, contends that Micron CEO, President and Chairman Steven Appleton and several members of the board participated in a price-fixing scheme starting in 2000, and that the board failed to correct the behavior or hold anyone responsible for years.
Micron, a Boise-based major producer of computer chips, has faced legal problems over allegations that it worked with other companies to fix the price of dynamic random-access memory chips, or DRAM.Micron was granted immunity by the U.S. Justice Department during an investigation into whether chip companies conspired to manipulate the number of DRAM chips released to market in order to inflate prices. That investigation resulted in more than $730 million in fines and guilty pleas from four companies ¿ Samsung Electronics Co., Elpida Memory Inc., Infineon Technologies AG and Hynix Semiconductor Inc. Although Micron was given immunity from criminal charges, it was not protected from civil lawsuits. In 2007, Micron settled a federal class-action lawsuit on behalf of customers that alleged price-fixing and violations of antitrust laws. Micron has also been named in an antitrust lawsuit filed by at least 35 states, including Idaho.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV