FDA Flags Psychiatric Risks Of Asthma Drugs
WASHINGTON (AP) ¿ U.S. regulators said Friday that new labels on popular asthma drugs like Merck's Singulair must highlight language about suicidal behavior, depression and anxiety seen in a small number of patients.
After 15 months of investigation, the Food and Drug Administration said Merck & Co. Inc. and Cornerstone Therapeutics, both based in the United States, and London-based AstraZeneca will have to raise label warnings about psychiatric problems reported by a handful of patients taking their drugs.
"Patients and healthcare professionals should be aware of the potential for neuropsychiatric events with these medications," the FDA said in a posting to its Web site.A spokeswoman for Merck said the language already appears in Singulair's label, but will be raised to the "precautions" section. It's now listed in a section about various side effects reported by patients. "We've been working with the FDA since Singulair came to market and every time we update the label it's in cooperation with them," said Merck spokeswoman Pamela Eisele. Singulair was Merck's best-selling product last year, with U.S. sales of $3.5 billion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV