Top Takes From RealMoney
The RealMoney contributors are in the business of trading and investing all day on the basis of ongoing news flow. Below, we offer the top five ideas that RealMoney contributors posted today and how they played those ideas.
TheStreet.com brings you the news all day, and with RealMoney's "Columnist Conversation," you can see how the pros are playing it on a real-time basis. Here are the top five ideas played today. To see all that RealMoney offers, click here for a free trial.
1. MI Prices Secondary
By James Altucher
8:59 a.m. EDT
Financial Marshall & Ilsley (MI) priced an 87-million-share secondary last night at $5.75. The stock had closed at $6.14. In the premarket, the stock is trading around $6. I'm short the stock and may cover or trim around the open to take gains. However, I do think the stock will trade lower from here and may even break the offering price.Last week Fifth Third (FITB) priced at $6.33 and now trades at $8, after a GS upgrade, but this situation is different. Fifth Third's secondary was only 20% dilution. After the underwriter allotment, Marshall & Ilsley will suffer a little more than 30% dilution. While the company plans on using some funds raised to pay back TARP, their balance sheet and prospects still won't be as strong as FITB's. If stock hits $5, I might attempt a short-term long to play a snapback; like I said, I probably (against my gut instinct that it will go lower) will take some gains on the short at open. Short MI.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV