BlackRock's (BLK) expected deal to buy Barclays Global Investors from U.K. bank Barclays (BCS) is likely to be announced as early as Thursday, the Wall Street Journal reports, citing people close to the matter.
Money manager BlackRock is expected to pay about $13 billion for the asset-management unit, and Barclays could retain about a 20% stake, the Journal and other reports this week have said.
Barclays could get a seat on BlackRock's board as part of the deal, the Journal reports. BlackRock is expected to fund a portion of the purchase from sovereign funds in the Middle East.
Combined with BGI, BlackRock would be the world's largest money manager, with roughly $2.8 trillion in assets under management, according to the Journal.Barclays on Monday confirmed it has held talks with BlackRock for the BGI business, but also said it has received proposals for BGI and its iShares business from a number of parties. Barclays reached an agreement earlier this year to sell iShares, which specializes in exchange-traded funds, to CVC Capital Partners for $4.4 billion. But a "go shop" clause in the agreement gives Barclays until June 18 to get a better deal for iShares or BGI and pay a $175 million break-up fee to CVC.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV