Dell Looks to Acquisitions for Growth: Report
Michael Dell, the chief executive of the computer maker that bears his name, expects Dell (DELL) to acquire a "significant-sized company" in coming months, the Wall Street Journal reports, citing a person who has spoken with the CEO.
Dell wants to expand its data-storage and tech-services businesses, according to people who have recently spoken with its chief financial officer, Brian Gladden, the Journal adds.
On Wednesday, Dell sold $1 billion is bonds, but a Dell spokesman said the debt offering is "for general corporate purposes, and among the possibilities -- and certainly no commitment has been made -- are acquisitions," according to the newspaper.
It's not clear if Dell is currently engaged in merger talks with any companies, though Dell has had continuing discussions with bankers for the past two years, the Journal reports, citing people familiar with the matter. Another spokesman says Dell is looking for acquisitions, but wouldn't comment on targets.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV