Gap (GPS) is finally tackling its core problem at Old Navy: that hideous store design.
The apparel chain said it plans to remodel 50 Old Navy stores during the year. The chain has been operating on a 1990s store format -- aka a big box filled with merchandise. There is little store experience or customer service and, for the most part, stores are just too big.
If they're going to remodel, now is a good time, as consumers seek out value-oriented retailers amid the recession. Old Navy is poised to capture some of this share of the market.
In the first quarter, Old Navy same-store sales fell 3%, compared with an 18% decline a year ago.While the chain is definitely performing better, Craig Johnson, president of Customer Growth Partners, says the momentum is only temporary. Old Navy is benefitting from a new ad campaign and additional marketing dollars, but once it returns to its normal marketing routine it could return to dismal days. Gap also said it still plans to spend $350 million on capital expenditures during fiscal 2009, and will add 50 labels to its online shoe and handbag shop Piperlime.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV