Tech Rumor of the Day: Apple
How's this for a new price on the Apple (AAPL) iPhone: free.
Before you get your hopes up, however, let's just say the chances are very slim.
Within hours of Apple's announcement Monday that it was cutting the price of the old iPhone by half to $99, speculation arose that AT&T (T) would eventually cut the price to $0.
Now that the iPhone costs Apple an estimated $130 to make, it's not a major leap to think AT&T is getting a better price from Apple for the phone and will bear all the customers' costs in exchange for a two-year service contract, say some analysts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV