AEP Industries Sees Q2 Profit Rise
SOUTH HACKENSACK, N.J. (AP) ¿ Plastic packaging company AEP Industries Inc. said Tuesday its fiscal second-quarter profit rose on higher sales volume driven by a recent acquisition, despite falling below management's expectations.
AEP Industries reported a fiscal second-quarter profit of $11.6 million, or $1.71 per share, compared with earnings of $5.5 million, or 81 cents a share, for the same quarter a year earlier.
The company said last year's acquisition of plastics film company Atlantis Plastics Inc. drove sales, which were partially offset by a decrease in average prices. AEP acquired Atlantis for $87 million in August 2008.
Revenue was up slightly to $182.5 million from $181.2 million for the same quarter a year ago."While we expect the remainder of 2009 to continue to be challenging, we expect volumes to modestly increase from existing levels, to realize additional synergies from the Atlantis acquisition, and to further reduce debt levels," said Brendan Barba, chairman and chief executive officer of AEP Industries in a written statement. "We do not expect further plant closings." To date the company has shut down a plant in Fontana, Calif., and notified workers of a shutdown at its Cartersville, Ga., plant. AEP has also reduced its debt from $250 million to $190 million, partly through the repurchase of $14.8 million in senior notes.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV