The market likes the way Men's Wearhouse (MW) looks. The company nearly halved its first-quarter profit, but investors gave the company a pat on the back anyway for actually posting a profit.
Shares of the retailer soared 16% to $20.70 Tuesday afternoon, a day after the company said profit fell to $5.3 million or 10 cents a share, from $9.9 million, or 19 cents, last year. Analysts had forecast a loss of a penny.
But it was through cost-cutting initiatives, not sales, that the company was able to attain a profit.
Sales fell 6% to $464.1 million from $491.1 million a year ago. Clothing product sales slipped 7.6%, though tuxedo-rental sales increased 1.7%.Total same-store sales decreased 5%. Looking forward, the company predicts second-quarter earnings in the range of 56 cents to 60 cents a share. And despite its ongoing cost-cutting initiatives, Men's Wearhouse plans to open eight new stores this year. On Monday, Men's Wearhouse affiliate K&G Acquisitions nabbed bankrupt Filene's Basement for $67 million. The move could result in 20 cents towards Men's Wearhouse earnings by 2010, Stifel Nicolaus analyst Richard Jaffe said in a note.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV