PowerShares Financial Preferred
What it does: PGF tracks the Wachovia Hybrid & Preferred Securities Financial Index. The underlying basket currently includes 40 holdings comprised of U.S. listed preferred stocks.
Who it's for: Investors looking for a high-yield option in the financial sector. Preferred shares have both debt and equity aspects, and PGF is likely to be more volatile than other regular equity financial ETFs. Preferred stock securities, like those found in PGF's portfolio, are taxed with the same 15% rate as common dividends. This 15% rate compares favorably to the rate that investors would pay on fixed income or bond interest payments, which are taxed as ordinary income at the maximum tax rate.Top 10 holdings: (coupon rate, rating). Bank of America (BA, 8.20%, BB-/B3), Barclays (BCS) (8.13%, BBB+/Baa2), JPMorgan Chase (8.63%, BBB+/A2), Wells Fargo (8%, NR/B2), Allianz (ALL.PA) (8.38%, A+/A3), HSBC Holdings (HBS) (8.13%, A-/A1e), Metlife (6.50%, BBB-/Baa1), ING (ING) (8.50%, BBB/A3), Bank of America (8.625% PD 8.63%, BB-/B3), Credit Suisse (CS) (7.90%, NR/Aa3). Liquidity and fees: The portfolio is rebalanced monthly and has a 0.60% fee. The three-month average daily trading volume: 1,529,480.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV