PowerShares Financial Preferred
What it does: PGF tracks the Wachovia Hybrid & Preferred Securities Financial Index. The underlying basket currently includes 40 holdings comprised of U.S. listed preferred stocks.
Who it's for: Investors looking for a high-yield option in the financial sector. Preferred shares have both debt and equity aspects, and PGF is likely to be more volatile than other regular equity financial ETFs. Preferred stock securities, like those found in PGF's portfolio, are taxed with the same 15% rate as common dividends. This 15% rate compares favorably to the rate that investors would pay on fixed income or bond interest payments, which are taxed as ordinary income at the maximum tax rate.Top 10 holdings: (coupon rate, rating). Bank of America (BA, 8.20%, BB-/B3), Barclays (BCS) (8.13%, BBB+/Baa2), JPMorgan Chase (8.63%, BBB+/A2), Wells Fargo (8%, NR/B2), Allianz (ALL.PA) (8.38%, A+/A3), HSBC Holdings (HBS) (8.13%, A-/A1e), Metlife (6.50%, BBB-/Baa1), ING (ING) (8.50%, BBB/A3), Bank of America (8.625% PD 8.63%, BB-/B3), Credit Suisse (CS) (7.90%, NR/Aa3). Liquidity and fees: The portfolio is rebalanced monthly and has a 0.60% fee. The three-month average daily trading volume: 1,529,480.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV