Top Ships Posts 1Q Profit On Lower Costs
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Greek shipping company Top Ships Inc. on Friday posted a first-quarter profit despite plunging revenue, mostly due to lower interest and finance costs.
The company earned $1.4 million, or 5 cents per share, compared with a loss of $18.8 million, or 93 cents per share, in the year-ago quarter.
Revenue sank to $29.8 million from $72.6 million a year earlier.
The company's interest and finance costs fell to $2.3 million from $8 million a year earlier.It said it is continuing to try and get out of certain vessel contracts to cut its leasing costs. Top Ships is also currently trying to get waivers to extend the terms of some of its debt. The stock fell 48 cents, or 15 percent, to $2.62 in morning trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV