Interpublic Says GM Exposure Is $50 Million
The company that oversees much of the advertising for General Motors Corp. said Friday that the automaker owes it $50 million, an amount that could grow if GM's international subsidiaries also file for bankruptcy protection.
The amount that Interpublic Group of Cos. disclosed in a regulatory filing is more than triple the $16 million listed in the bankruptcy filing GM made Monday. That's because IPG has yet to bill GM for some projects just completed or still in progress.
Interpublic is one of GM's largest ad agencies. In turn, GM is one of Interpublic's largest clients and brings in around $350 million in business annually.Interpublic's Campbell-Ewald unit handles the Chevrolet brand while Deutsch has Saturn, one of the divisions GM is selling. McCann Erickson does work for Saab and, along with Deutsch, handles some GM corporate work. Interpublic is currently awaiting a court decision to be designated a "critical vendor," which could give it a better chance of recouping much or all of what's owed. Interpublic previously estimated that it could be owed as much as $150 million by GM. The disclosure of a much lower figure shows the agency has a good handle on its exposure to GM, said Barry Lucas, senior vice president of research at Gabelli & Co. Inc. in Rye, N.Y.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV