Rio Tinto Kills China Deal (Update)
China, for its part, has been scrambling to take advantage of cheap natural resource prices to snatch up assets all over the globe. The Rio Tinto deal with Chinalco was one of its moves in that direction. The aluminum processor would have nearly doubled its holdings of Rio shares to 18%, assumed two seats on the Rio board, and taken stakes in several important mining assets.
In Australia, that was a controversial issue politically. Some argued that it would represent a compromise in national security since China would have assumed influence over enormous amounts of Australian metals resources.
China has also been involved in heated negotiations with Rio Tinto, BHP and other big miners over the price of iron ore, which China buys in large quantities for steel production. Some have also criticized the Chinalco deal as a way for China to keep ore prices down.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV