Sector Snap: Analyst Rates Coal Stocks "Buy"
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ The coal mining sector will struggle under constrained volumes for the rest of the year, but should rebound in 2010 on a strong price recovery, said an analyst on Thursday who reiterated his "Buy" rating for a number of coal stocks.
Stifel Nicolaus & Co analyst Paul Forward predicted dismal second-quarter and full-year results driven by lower shipping volumes and the fact that most firms have the majority of their planned coal production committed, leaving few opportunities to gain from price strengthening.
Demand for all types of coal has continued to remain very weak, but the sector has responded quickly by cutting domestic coal production, a move that could prompt an eventual recovery in coal pricing, Forward said.
Forward expects a strong rebound in prices in 2010 and 2011, led by coal from the Appalachians due to its exposure to export markets, with other regions trailing behind.He reiterated his "Buy" rating for Consol Energy Inc., Peabody Energy Corp., Massey Energy Co. and Foundation Coal Holdings Inc., with price targets of $40.16, $34.01, $22.18 and $28.45, respectively.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV