Cato Same-store Sales Decline 3 Percent In May
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) ¿ Women's apparel retailer Cato Corp. said Thursday its same-store sales fell 3 percent in May, as results a year ago were boosted by government stimulus checks.
Same-store sales, or sales at stores open at least a year, are a key measure of retailer performance, because they measure growth at existing stores rather than from newly opened ones.
Total sales declined 3 percent to $78.1 million from $80.5 million a year ago.
Sales for the 17 weeks ended May 30 rose 3 percent to $316.2 million from $306.3 million a year ago.Same-store sales so far this year have declined 1 percent. "We believe the benefit of the stimulus checks last year will continue to have an effect on same-store sales results in June," Chief Executive John Cato said in a statement. The company owns the Cato and It's Fashion line of clothing stores. Cato operates 1,329 stores in 32 states.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV