Sector Snap: Logistics Firms Fall, Hub Jumps
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ An analyst with investment bank R.W. Baird said Wednesday that a recent strategic move by trucking and logistics company Hub Group Inc. should position it well for the future, while it will likely hurt business at rival Pacer International Inc.
Analyst Jon A. Langenfeld said in a note to clients that Hub Group is turning to railroad operator Union Pacific Corp. to carry most of its cargo ¿ about 90 percent. Hub now ships about 60 percent of its rail freight with Union Pacific and the other 40 percent with fellow Western rail Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corp. He thinks this move should allow Downers Grove, Ill.-based Hub Group to be more efficient and drive down costs.
Langenfeld kept his "Neutral" rating on Hub, saying the transition might mean some loss of customers and higher initial costs. He lowered his estimates for this year but increased his price target on the deal's long-term opportunities.
But what's good for Hub will likely be negative for rival Pacer, Langenfeld said. He cut his rating on the company to "Underperform" or "Sell," saying Hub's shift and Concord, Calif.-based Pacer's current business model might hurt its competitive ability in the future.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV