Where ETFs and Mutual Funds Collide
As the number of ETFs and ETF issuers grows at a breakneck pace and the focus of many products continues to narrow, it's a challenge to address methodology and liquidity when composing a portfolio. Simply comparing short-term performance among various ETF in any given sector often misses pitfalls such as liquidity and depth. Investors may find themselves paying up for a fast-moving ETF that looks good on paper but trades poorly in the open market.
According to Frank in a recent Fidelity Independent Adviser interview, such a hybrid assists investors in tackling both security-specific and systematic risks, both of which ETFOX addresses. "I am a student of Markowitz and the modern portfolio theory, which has helped me combat market risk by using ETFs," Frank said. "I am also taking security-specific risk out of the equation."
In the second half of 2008, Frank used iShares Barclays 20+ Year Treasury Bond Fund (TLT) and iShares Barclays 1-3 Year Treasury Bond (SHY) to achieve both short- and long-term exposure to the Treasury market.At the beginning of 2009, ETFOX owned the inverse Treasury fund UltraShort 20+ Year Treasury ProShares (TBT), a position that was increased in late January. Frank decreased his TBT position on February 10 but scooped up shares again in early March. Frank decreased his position again in mid-March but has been increasing his position in TBT since April 4. Frank said he did not sell the entire TBT position in mid-March because it was a macro bet, had high momentum and had consistently stayed near the top of his longer term rankings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV