In a research note Tuesday, UBS analyst Nikos Theodosopoulos downgraded Juniper to neutral from buy on concerns that the stock's 38% rise this year has some potential downside. One particular threat to Juniper's gains is the potential loss of a huge customer.
"Our contacts suggest Juniper may have recently lost on a routing opportunity at AT&T vs. Cisco," Theodosopoulos wrote.
Juniper and Cisco are the only two players in the so-called core router market. These are network systems that manage massive flows of Internet traffic for telcos like AT&T, Verizon (VZ) and nearly every major network operator.One slightly ominous note in the AT&T story is that Juniper's potential miss comes as AT&T looks to narrow its network equipment vendor list from about 150 suppliers to fewer than 40, according to Telecom Pragmatic analyst Sam Greenholtz. Juniper declined to comment on the speculation about its status at AT&T. A Juniper representative pointed to a press release on Monday, which was a re-release of a May 13 AT&T press release. In it, AT&T named Juniper one of its six outstanding suppliers last year. "Commitment to excellence over the past year has earned Juniper recognition as a 2009 AT&T Supplier Award winner," according to the release. The timing of the re-release was certainly interesting, as was the omission that Cisco was also among the top six suppliers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV