Same-store prescriptions filled also rose 2.8% last month, while total monthly sales rose 6.1% from year-ago levels, to $5.37 billion.
The company reported that overall same-store sales for the current fiscal year-to-date are up 1.9%.
Walgreen shares rose 37 cents, or +1.2%, in morning trading Tuesday.
We have avoided shares of WAG since our early June coverage began, when the stock was trading at $35.53. The company has a 1.45% dividend yield, based on last night's closing stock price of $31.14.The stock has technical support in the $26-$28 price area. If the shares can firm up, we see overhead resistance around the $33-$34 price levels. We would remain on the sidelines for now. Walgreen is not recommended at this time, holding a Dividend.com DARS Rating of 3.2 out of 5 stars.
American Express Prices $500 Million Share OfferingCredit card giant American Express (AXP) joined the share offering party Tuesday, announcing it will sell about $500 million of its shares. The New York City-based company will price around 19.8 million shares of its common stock at $25.25 per share, which is less than a 1% discount from its Monday closing price of $25.99. After the sale is completed, the company will garner around $500 million in funds. American Express shares fell $1.41, or -5.5%, in late morning trading Tuesday. We continue to avoid shares of AXP, as we have since our early June coverage began, when the stock was trading at $44.65. The company has a dividend yield of 2.77%, based on last night's closing stock price of $25.99.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV