Some life insurance policies are starting to haunt the living. Three years ago, I said "premium financed" policies were "not exactly a scam, but dangerous." Today that warning seems like an understatement.
More than $20 billion of these so-called "spin life" insurance policies have been sold and now they're starting to implode. Many policy holders don't realize the trouble they face.
The concept seemed straightforward when sales were rampant several years ago. Agents promised clients that investors would lend them money to pay the premiums for the first two years, until the policy was past the "contestability period." Then the policy would be sold to an investor, who would continue to pay the premiums, hoping to collect on this "bet" on the senior's longevity.
Agents were encouraging elderly people to buy huge life insurance policies on themselves, even though they didn't need the insurance, and couldn't afford the premiums.Why would any person let a stranger become the owner of a policy on his life? The answer is simple: money. Pre-death bonus: Seniors were tempted by upfront "bonuses" that ranged from thousands of dollars to expensive cruises just for letting the investor bet against the insurance industry's mortality tables, and eventually collect the policy proceeds. And they were promised more money when the policy was sold. At first, there was no risk to seniors. The loans to pay the premiums were "non-recourse." However, three years ago, insurance companies decided that customers needed to guarantee at least 25% of the premium. The insurers potentially sensed problems brewing, but still wanted to sell policies.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV