Foundation Settles Supply Suit With ArcelorMittal
Foundation did not change 2009 production expectations as a result of the deal, but the company did say it expects the settlement to affect prices.
For this year, Foundation lowered average price projections to $62.06 per ton from its eastern mines, down from an earlier prediction of $65.10. The company increased the expected per ton price for 2010 to $74.85 from $68.11 and for 2011 to $82.92 from $78.82.
The stakes for both companies have changed significantly since Linthicum Heights, Md.-based Foundation filed the suit in January.
Coking coal accounts for about 2 percent of the 70 million tons of coal Foundation sells annually. But Foundation agreed on May 12 to a $1.4 billion takeover offer from rival Alpha Natural Resources, the largest U.S. exporter of coking coal.Coking coal accounted for 42 percent of the 28.3 million tons of coal Alpha sold last year and the Abingdon, Va.-based company bills itself as the largest U.S. supplier and exporter of coking coal. Combined, Foundation and Alpha would be the nation's third-largest coal producer, with mines in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Virginia, Kentucky and Wyoming.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV