Foundation Settles Supply Suit With ArcelorMittal
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) ¿ Foundation Coal Holdings said Monday it has settled a lawsuit against steelmaker ArcelorMittal over a $40 million coal supply contract.
The suit accused ArcelorMittal, the world's largest steel producer, of reneging on a deal to buy more than 200,000 tons of coking coal to fire blast furnaces. Foundation said the settlement calls for ArcelorMittal to take "significant" volumes from its Kingston operation in southern West Virginia over several years, but offered no additional details.
"The negotiated settlement agreement is fair to both parties, provides greater visibility and certainty to Foundation, and represents an important step forward in the relationship between the two companies," Foundation Chief Executive James Roberts said in a statement.An ArcelorMittal spokesman declined to comment. The supply deal was signed in 2008, when coal prices more than doubled to at times $300 a ton on strong international demand. A lack of demand for steel has cut demand for coking coal sharply and prices have fallen into the $130 a ton range this year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV