When Jim Cramer says to buy something "hand over fist," people tend to pay attention. This morning, Petrobras Energia (PZE) proved the rule.
The company, which was highlighted on last Friday's "Mad Money," was changing hands today on the NYSE at $5.73, a jump of more than 12% from its Friday close.
The company says it is the second largest oil producer in Argentina, with production sites spread throughout Latin American. Besides Petrobras Energia's main oil and gas production business, the company also dips into the refining and petrochemicals rackets, too.
Back in April, Petrobras Energia announced a $614 million sale of a Peruvian operation, whose main asset was a lot in the Talara basin that produced 16,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day. The company said in a filing that the sale "will enable Petrobras Energia S.A. to monetize the value of assets in Peru, leverage the capacity to focus the Company's investment in Argentina and strengthen the short and long term financial position."But at the beginning of May, Deutsche Bank downgraded Petrobras Energia after it reported a 93% year over drop in operating income. They also reported a first quarter loss of P$205 million, compared to P$261 million gain in the first quarter of 2008.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV