Analyst Downgrades Specialty Packaging Sector
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) ¿ Profit growth at specialty packaging companies is expected to lag other companies as the economy recovers next year, an analyst said Friday as he downgraded the sector.
Goldman Sachs analyst Richard Skidmore lowered his rating to "Neutral" from "Attractive."
Growth in earnings per share for packaging companies is expected to lag the Standard & Poor's 500 index next year because the sector's food and beverage markets will improve more slowly than other businesses as the economy improves, Skidmore said in a note to investors.
Food and beverage markets did not experience the downturn last year "and therefore, we do not expect will experience a sharp upturn as the economy recovers," he said.Skidmore cut his rating for packaging-products maker Sealed Air Corp. of Elmwood Park, N.J., to "Sell" from "Neutral" and downgraded Philadelphia-based Crown Holdings Inc., which makes food and drink packaging, to "Neutral" from "Buy." He raised his 2010 earnings estimates for Bway Holding Co., an Atlanta-based supplier of metal and plastic containers to $1.25 per share from $1.15 per share and increased his 2011 estimate and to $1.50 per share $1.25 per share. He said expects stronger recovery in paint cans than he previous believed.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV