TSC Ratings provides exclusive stock, ETF and mutual fund ratings and commentary based on award-winning, proprietary tools. Its "safety first" approach to investing aims to reduce risk while seeking solid outperformance on a total return basis.
U.S. government borrowing is accelerating inflation expectations, making investments priced in foreign currencies more attractive. The best-performing geographically focused funds outperformed all other categories for the week ending yesterday.
The yield on 10-year U.S. government bonds rose to 3.75% yesterday, a six-month high. Even investors in so-called "risk-free" securities want to be compensated for the potential loss in value of the U.S. dollar due to inflation.
The best-performing geographically focused fund this week is the Templeton Russia and East European Fund (TRF), gaining 14%. While flat for the week, the Russian ruble has been strengthening against the dollar for the past 3 1/2 months and is now at its strongest level since Jan. 9. Sberbank, one of the fund's biggest holdings, rose 13%. As the largest holder of ruble deposits, Sberbank is helped by a rising ruble, giving confidence to Russian depositors to leave their money in the bank and not convert it to other currencies. Mechel (MTL) jumped 26% after the Russian steel producer got an extension of a bridge loan to finance an acquisition and the restart of a shaft furnace at its Southern Urals Nickel Plant, which added 15% to capacity utilization. Vimpel-Communications (VIP) soared 20% on reporting lower-than-expected losses and a 20% increase in wireless subscribers compared with a year earlier. India's rupee has been on a three-month rally against the U.S. dollar, bringing it to its strongest level since December 2008. The India Fund (IFN) spiked 13%, continuing a climb that tracks, in part, the advancing rupee.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV