Jeweler Tiffany (TIF) reported first-quarter earnings of $24.3 million, or 20 cents a share, in line with the estimates of analysts, but a decline of 62% from a year earlier as sales tumbled 22%.
Net sales in the first quarter were $523.1 million. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters estimates sales at $533 million. On a constant-exchange-rate basis, worldwide net sales declined 18%, with a 21% drop in comparable-store sales, Tiffany said in a statement Friday.
In the Americas, first-quarter sales declined 31% to $259 million, while comparable U.S. store sales fell 34%. Sales fell 42% at its New York flagship store sales.
Tiffany reaffirmed its full-year expectations for a worldwide sales decline of 11% and net earnings from continuing operations of $1.50 to $1.60 a share. Analysts are expecting earnings for the year of $1.56 a share on sales of $2.52 billion."We are now almost one month into our second quarter and, although it's still too early to draw any conclusions, we are seeing a lessening in the rate of year-over-year total sales decline, as we expected," said Michael Kowalski, chairman and CEO. "The rate of decline has improved slightly in the Americas and to a greater extent in other regions. Therefore, we reaffirm our previously-announced full year expectations."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV