S&P Replaces Covidien With MetLife In S&P 100
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Standard & Poor's said Thursday it has added insurer MetLife Inc. to the S&P 100, replacing health care products company Covidien Ltd., which will be ineligible for the index after it redomesticates to Ireland.
In addition, Houston-based FMC Technologies Inc., which provides technology services to the energy industry, will replace Covidien in the S&P 500 index. Shares of companies added to the S&P 500 often rise, since many investment portfolios are linked to the index.
At the same time, Columbia, Md.-based software provider Micros Systems Inc. will replace FMC in the S&P MidCap 400 and North Hollywood, Calif.-based physician group IPC The Hospitalist Company Inc. will replace Micros in the S&P SmallCap 600.
Separately, Simmons First National Corp., which owns community banks in Arkansas, will replace Guaranty Financial Group Inc. in the S&P SmallCap 600. DTS Inc., which makes parts for entertainment systems, will also replace Irwin Financial Corp. in that index.As of Thursday's close, Guaranty Financial and Irwin Financial had market capitalizations of about $37 million and $35 million respectively, well below the index's minimum market cap of $200 million. Standard & Poor's is a subsidiary of McGraw-Hill Cos.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV