Top 5 Small-Cap Stocks for May 29
Management stated that Hawkins' business and gross profit will return to levels in line with past results over the next few months, as commodity pricing and demand have begun to level off recently. The company shows weak operating cash flow, but we feel that the strengths detailed above outweigh any potential weakness at this time.
Tompkins Financial (TMP) is the corporate parent of three community banks: Tompkins Trust Company, The Bank of Castile and Mahopac National Bank. Its three banks primarily offer commercial banking services to individuals and businesses throughout New York state. We have rated Tompkins Financial a buy since October 2007 on the basis of its expanding profit margins, solid stock price performance, and growth in revenue, net income, and earnings per share.
For the first quarter of fiscal 2009, Tompkins' revenue increased slightly by 3.0% year-over-year. This growth appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, as EPS improved from $0.77 to $0.79 over the past year. Net income also increased slightly, rising 2.7% when compared to the same quarter of last year. Tompkins' gross profit margin increased from the prior year's quarter and is currently very high at 73.60%.
Management was pleased with Tompkins' strong operating results for the first quarter and feels that the company is well positioned to perform well in the future despite its predictions of continued challenges in the remainder of the fiscal year. Although the company shows weak operating cash flow and its stock has been driven to a premium valuation compared to the rest of its industry, we feel that its strengths outweigh any potential weaknesses and justify the higher price level at this time.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV