The RealMoney contributors are in the business of trading and investing all day on the basis of ongoing news flow. Below, we offer the top five ideas that RealMoney contributors posted today and how they played those ideas.
TheStreet.com brings you the news all day, and with RealMoney's "Columnist Conversation," you can see how the pros are playing it on a real-time basis. Here are the top five ideas played today. To see all that RealMoney offers, click here for a free trial.
Ira Sohn Conference
By Tim Melvin
2:30 p.m. EDT At this year's Ira Sohn conference in New York, fund manager David Einhorn laid out another short idea. It may well be worth listening to. In previous years he used the conference to outline the bear case for Allied Capital (ALD) and, most notably, Lehman Brothers at last year's conference. Both calls were spectacular in the extreme.
The damage was compounded by assigning top ratings to mortgage-backed securities that turned out to be essentially worthless. Einhorn called on regulators to eliminate ratings agencies as they are destabilizing to financial markets.He also disclosed that his fund, Greenlight Capital (GLRE), has been short the stock for some time. No positions.
By Sham Gad
12:47 a.m. EDT Several people have asked me about an ETF that would cover the fertilizer industry. Market Vectors Agribusiness (MOO) is a good one to check out. It has Mosaic (MOS), Potash (POT), Deere (DE) and Monsanto (MON) among its major holdings. No positions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV