"Is It Safe?" is a daily feature by TheStreet.com Ratings that looks at a company's risk and reward potential. Find out if your stocks are safe each morning at 4.
The Switzerland-based company is the world's biggest offshore driller with 136 rigs, including 34 that can run in water deeper than 4,500 feet. With demand for petroleum picking up and the price of crude oil edging higher, that seems like a favorable position.
However, Transocean rigs might sit idle as oil and gas producers cut capital spending this year. Overcapacity could stifle earnings at least though next year and potentially through 2011, according to at least one analyst. That means Transocean will collect less lease fees from customers that use its equipment, making profits elusive. Judson E. Bailey, a managing director at Jefferies & Co. (JEF), expects the firm's net income to decline through 2011. He says the deepwater drilling industry might be "modestly oversupplied by late 2010 to 2011, thus facilitating a sharper and more prolonged dayrate and earnings downturn." He downgraded the company to "hold" from "buy" in a recent report. Transocean, which controls 38% of the deepwater drilling market, has a history of wide stock-price swings. After falling below $20 in 2003, the stock climbed to $160 last year. When crude prices collapsed to less than $40 after approaching $150 last July, the company's shares imploded. They've since recovered, rising 61% this year as the Morgan Stanley Oil Service Index climbed 43%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV