It's the midway point of a housing report trifecta this week and investors are apparently into the mood to pummel the housing sector in response.
Yesterday, the Standard & Poor's/Case-Shiller National Home Price index said that home prices plummeted a record 19.1% in the first quarter. Today, the National Association of Realtors reported that while existing home sales grew 2% in April, home prices continued to fall and unsold home inventory grew. Tomorrow morning, the Commerce Department will weigh in with their new home sales figures.
A quick survey of housing-related stocks shows that most were hurting in the afternoon.
Home-improvement retailers took the brunt of investors' frustrations today. Almost all of the major stocks in the sector were changing hands in negative territory, led by Sherwin-Williams' (SHW) 3.7% drop to $53.22. Lowe's (LOW) was changing hands at $19.71, or down 33 cents, while rival Home Depot (HD) was down 38 cents at $23.42.On the eve of the new home-sales report, homebuilder shares were mixed by the post-noon period, though many of the big names were toiling below yesterday's closing prices. Centex (CTX) was coming in at $9.31, gaining 1% on the day by the afternoon. Pulte Homes (PHM) was down by early afternoon, but trading in positive territory late, changing hands at $9.66 or up 5 cents. But Toll Brothers (TOL) was at $18.32, down 23 cents or 1.24%. Lennar (LEN) saw its shares give up 16 cents, or 1.5%, by the afternoon. Some of the biggest names in the home-furnishings group were also in the red. Masco (MAS) was changing hands down 30 cents, or nearly 3%. Neither Ethan Allen (ETH) nor Knoll (KNL) were fairing much better, giving up 4 cents and 11 cents respectively since yesterday's close.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV