Arena Resources of Tulsa, Oklahoma, is an oil and gas exploration and development company with properties in Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico and Texas. Its revenue, earnings and stock price have suffered during oil's descent, though Arena has padded its cash position and cut debt during the recession. Consequently, it's in an ideal position to maximize profits as oil rebounds. Oil yesterday rose above $63 a barrel for the first time in six months. TheStreet.com Ratings has had a "buy" rating on the stock since its initial coverage date of May 25, 2007.
The company's first-quarter revenue fell 55% to $20 million, underperforming its peer group. Earnings per share declined 66% to $0.17. However, Arena has a $52 million cash balance, having paid off all $41 million of its debt since the first quarter of 2008. Arena has no interest expenses to speak of.
Investors have rewarded Arena's financial strength, sending the stock up 22% this year, beating the S&P 500 and the Dow. The stock is expensive based on earnings, sales, cash flow and book value in the oil and gas exploration and production industry. Arena trades at a price-to-earnings multiple of 18.13, making it 20% more expensive than its average peer.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV