Quantitative easing is expected to have the Fed buying up to $1.75 trillion of intermediate- and long-term Treasuries this year. China is also expected to remain very supportive, with additional purchases of short- and intermediate-term debt of at least $100 billion and maybe as much as $200 billion in U.S. Treasuries this year.
Jamil Anderlini writes from Beijing in The Financial Times. On Monday he said:
But Chinese and western officials in Beijing said China was caught in a "dollar trap" and has little choice but to keep pouring the bulk of its growing reserves into the U.S. Treasury, which remains the only market big enough and liquid enough to support its huge purchases.If the hoped-for end to the recession does not come in the second or third quarter, upward pressure on intermediate- and long-term interest rates may abate, and Treasuries could rally. If the stock market does another swoon, a flight to safety would give additional buying support for higher-priced Treasuries. b. The case for selling Treasuries: The author discussed the potential for a bursting bubble for bonds in early January. Since then, there have been signs that the bubble might be deflating. The chart below of the ETF for long-term Treasuries, the iShares Barclay's 20-Plus-Year Treasury Bond ETF (TLT) shows the dramatic move down over the past two months. The decline was especially steep from late April to early May. An attempt to rally in May appears to have failed.
In March alone, China's direct holdings of U.S. Treasury securities rose $23.7bn to reach a new record of $768bn, according to preliminary U.S. data, allowing China to retain its title as the biggest creditor of the U.S. government.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV