An example of the effect of the accumulated daily tracking errors is shown in the chart below. If each fund perfectly reproduced the index and the inverse of the index, investing equal amounts in each fund would produce a result differing from zero only by the net of dividends minus operational expenses of the two funds. The graph below, courtesy of Yahoo! Finance, shows that the result after one year would be substantially below break-even. (Note: The vertical percentage scales are logarithmic.)
8. Buy The Dollar
This is a trade for the brave, the foolish or the nimble (or all three). David Spurr argues that with a 50% retracement down from the December to February high (see chart below) on low volume, the dollar may be poised for a rebound. Spurr proposes buying the dollar on that basis. However, others do not agree, feeling that a different technical view of the chart brings the opposite opinion.
The critical nature of the present technical position of the dollar charts is seen in the chart below (from Richard Russell), shown this week by Barry Ritholtz in The Big Picture. The head-and-shoulders top formation for the U.S. dollar, with current prices at the neckline, coming off the right-hand shoulder, makes this crunch time for technicians.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV