An example of the effect of the accumulated daily tracking errors is shown in the chart below. If each fund perfectly reproduced the index and the inverse of the index, investing equal amounts in each fund would produce a result differing from zero only by the net of dividends minus operational expenses of the two funds. The graph below, courtesy of Yahoo! Finance, shows that the result after one year would be substantially below break-even. (Note: The vertical percentage scales are logarithmic.)
8. Buy The Dollar
This is a trade for the brave, the foolish or the nimble (or all three). David Spurr argues that with a 50% retracement down from the December to February high (see chart below) on low volume, the dollar may be poised for a rebound. Spurr proposes buying the dollar on that basis. However, others do not agree, feeling that a different technical view of the chart brings the opposite opinion.
The critical nature of the present technical position of the dollar charts is seen in the chart below (from Richard Russell), shown this week by Barry Ritholtz in The Big Picture. The head-and-shoulders top formation for the U.S. dollar, with current prices at the neckline, coming off the right-hand shoulder, makes this crunch time for technicians.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV