Why do I say selling munis is contrarian? The first reason is that they have been rallying for months. A second reason is that more than a few people are recommending them as a good investment in a muddle-through environment where the recession doesn't get much worse or a weak recovery starts. In such a situation, U.S. Treasury bond rates may not rise significantly. One of my favorite analysts, Brett Steenbarger, said last week, "In a low interest rate environment, those tax-free yields have looked attractive to retail investors and, amidst hopes of economic stabilization, investors have been willing to move away from Treasuries and into munis."
There are no ETF options that are short munis. The iShares S&P National Municipal Bond ETF (MUB) can be shorted. Another possible short is the SPDR Barclay's Muni ETF (TFI). Be aware that in shorting a dividend paying stock or ETF, you will have to pay any dividends that are issued while you are short. If you buy put options on either of these funds, you will have a short position with no exposure to paying dividends, but you risk losing the option premiums.
5. Sell Oil
Here is another potential 60 mph train that might be real. Just look at the weekly chart for the U.S. Oil Fund ETF (USO), which has risen 46% since Feb. 26.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV