3. Sell Financial Stocks
This looks like a major freight train barreling down the track at 60 mph. Just look at the chart for ProShares Ultra Financial (UYG) from March into May: a three-bagger in two months. However, note the broken uptrend lines in May for (from the top) relative strength, price and MACD. These breaks of trend lines can sometimes be good alerts for possible trend reversals.
There has been exceptional momentum and increasing enthusiasm from cheerleaders. Goldman Sachs has just upgraded a large group of major banks with much higher price targets. You can short using ProShares UltraShort Financials (SKF) or ProShares Short Financials (SEF), but be careful -- this bull train may not be an illusion. But if you believe, as Jim Cramer does, that new credit card regulation will hurt bank stocks, now may be the time to step in front of the train and hope it is illusory.One note to consider: Some index-tracking ETFs, especially leveraged ETFs, can be subject to long-term accumulation of daily tracking errors. The result is that holding these funds for many months can produce returns far below what would be expected for perfect tracking. An example of this tracking problem is discussed below in idea No. 7 (real estate).
4. Sell Municipal BondsThis suggestion makes sense if the recession drags on for the rest of the year and the budget shortfalls in cities and states put downward pressure on municipal bond ratings. A well-publicized default or two could produce a panic selloff. Finally, if there is a recovery starting, rising interest rates could put downward pressure on muni prices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV