Updated from 2:04 p.m. EDT
And Tomorrow's Already Wednesday
( At 5:35 p.m. EDT)
Thanks to a much better than expected reading on consumer confidence, Wall Street had an upbeat start to a short week. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 196.17 points, or 2.4%, to 8473.49 Tuesday as 28 of its 30 stocks advanced.
Every Stock's Higher( At 1:55 p.m. EDT) GM (GM) went from being the worst performer on the Dow all the way to positive territory as the automaker scrambled to stay out of bankruptcy court. Just days ahead of a government deadline to prove its viability, GM has reached an agreement that will give 17.5% of its common stock, along with warrants, preferred stock and a $2.5 billion note, to the UAW's health-care Voluntary Employee Beneficiary Association, The Wall Street Journal reported. Meanwhile, retiree benefits will be cut immediately, the paper said. The Associated Press reported that most hourly employees will get buyout offers or requests to retire early.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV