BankUnited Financial Files Chapter 11
CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP) ¿ The former holding company for BankUnited FSB filed for Chapter 11 protection on Friday, one day after the thrift was seized by federal regulators.
The thrift itself was expected to reopen under the BankUnited name next week under ownership by a new investment group.
BankUnited Financial Corp., the former holding company for the thrift, made the Chapter 11 filing in federal bankruptcy court for the southern district of Florida.
"Given the financial condition of the Bank, it is unlikely that the Company will be entitled to any distribution from the FDIC," BankUnited Financial wrote in its announcement of the filing.The seizure is expected to cost the FDIC $4.9 billion, making it the second-largest hit to the insurance fund since the financial crisis began hitting banks last year. Federal regulators said on Thursday that BankUnited FSB reported $1.2 billion in losses last year as loan defaults mounted. It was the 34th federally insured institution to be closed this year, and the biggest. The FDIC said on Thursday that it will insure deposits at the bank, and that customers can continue to use BankUnited FSB checks, ATM cards and debit cards.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV