BankUnited Deal May Signal New PE Push
"Is that something they can live with, given that historically when they have done well, they have done tremendously well in a short period of time?" asks Varaiya.
Furthermore, many private equity funds are set up to have a profitable exit strategy within five years or less. If the recession drags on for several years and profitability is hindered, acquisitions that seemed like bargains may turn out to be busts.
Several recent bets that soured have made PE firms even more wary about their investments. Flowers has seen major investments plummet in Hypo Real Estate Holding AG and Japanese banks. Chrysler's potential bankruptcy poses huge risk to Cerberus. Texas Pacific Group lost $1.35 billion on its $7 billion investment in WaMu last year.
"Nobody else wants to see that happen," says Mix. "They want to have clarity before they pull the trigger."Given the headwinds facing PE players, on the regulatory end as well as the valuation end, Mix says that most are sitting on the sidelines, acquiring very small banks to register for approval as a bank holding company. Flowers did this by purchasing First National Bank last year, and Wilbur Ross, the king of distressed investments who heads WL Ross, did this by taking over First Bank and Trust Co. earlier this year. If opportunities emerge down the line, great. If not, PE firms will seek other avenues with fewer complications and less regulatory scrutiny. Says Kaplan: "Private equity is very private." Philip van Doorn contributed to this report.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV