Insurance Broker Sues AIG Over Business Practices
LOS ANGELES (AP) ¿ A California insurance broker is suing American International Group, accusing the nation's largest insurance and financial corporation of engaging in unfair business practices.
Insurance broker Linda Harris, president of the Independent Financial Planning Group, filed the lawsuit Thursday in Los Angeles Superior Court.
The lawsuit accuses AIG of using funds from its California insurance companies to support its financial services business and telling brokers and policy holders that the insurance business is insulated from its losses in the financial derivatives market.
Harris' attorney says such practices put policyholders at risk of losing their savings. Harris and her company bought and sold more than $15 million of AIG life insurance.AIG has received $182.5 billion in financial support from the government since September. AIG was devastated not by its traditional insurance operations, but by its financial products business, which underwrote risky credit derivatives contracts known as credit default swaps. The swaps are essentially insurance contracts protecting an investor against default on an underlying investment, such as mortgage-backed securities. A message left Thursday with an AIG spokeswoman wasn't immediately returned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV