Sector Snap: Coal Companies Slide
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Shares of coal companies fell with the broader market Thursday as an analyst downgraded several players, saying they will be hurt by lower demand, competition from natural gas, swollen stockpiles and underutilized steel mills.
Dahlman Rose analyst Daniel Scott downgraded Alpha Natural Resources Inc. and Foundation Coal Holdings Inc. to "Hold" from "Buy" and Patriot Coal Corp. to "Sell" from "Hold."
Scott said coal stocks have rallied too far over the past several weeks and could see a pullback in the near term. Scott noted that the domestic coal sector is up an average 82 percent quarter-to-date and 61 percent year-to-date. Despite encouraging production cuts and news that Alpha will acquire Foundation Coal, "the underlying commodity continues to lag," Scott said.
Reduced electric demand, increased regulations and natural gas price weakness continue to batter coal stocks. As the price of natural gas has softened, it has become competitive with coal.Scott added that "with domestic steel mills continuing to run at less than half utilization and demand for export coal evaporating," demand for metallurgical coal will continue to wane.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV