While Southwest did not say what cities it will serve from Milwaukee, its five largest airports include Las Vegas, Chicago Midway, Phoenix, Baltimore and Houston.
Meanwhile, Midwest is shrinking in the face of the troubled economy and competition from AirTran. When AirTran first bid for the carrier in December 2006, Midwest carried about 50% of the airport traffic, including about 12% on its regional subsidiary, according to airport statistics. In March, Midwest carried about a third of the traffic, split nearly evenly between the mainline carrier and two independent regional affiliates.
"For years, Southwest wouldn't compete with Midwest," Healy says. "Southwest was successful because they managed expectations (for amenities) to the lowest level, while Midwest had a quality product and a reputation for the best in-flight service. They were at the two extremes of the spectrum. But that Midwest is largely gone."
Now, General Mitchell Field is positioned to emerge as a low-fare airport for the northern Chicago area. "The airport folks have been trying to build the Northern Illinois market, and this will bring even greater attention, and what's good for Milwaukee is good for AirTran," Healy said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV