Not only is Bank of America a poor proxy for U.S. banking, but so is ProShares Ultra Financials itself. Banks account for 36% of the ETF's weighting, with insurance making up 22% and real estate 12%. Real estate investment and services stocks were the worst-performing industry group on the S&P 500 Index today, dropping as much as 4.9%.
PowerShares Dynamic Banking Portfolio (PJB) more closely follows the U.S. banking industry. The ETF is based on the Dynamic Banking Intellidex Index. Its 30 members include First Horizon National (FHN), the largest holding, and Bank of Hawaii (BOH). Large-cap companies account for less than 5% of the ETF.
PowerShares Dynamic Banking Portfolio handed investors a smaller loss than did ProShares Ultra Financials, as its holdings are less volatile. For investors who want to make money on a rebound in banking, they would do well to review which exchange traded funds tap into the industry most directly.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV