Clothing Retailer Cato Says 1Q Profit Rises 12 Pct
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) ¿ Women's clothing retailer Cato Corp. said Wednesday its first-quarter profit rose 12 percent as the company used markdowns to attract consumers during the recession.
The Charlotte, N.C.-based mall retailer earned $18.8 million, or 64 cents per share, in the quarter that ended May 2. That compares with $16.9 million, or 57 cents per share, a year earlier.
Revenue rose 5 percent to $241 million, up from $228.8 million. The company operates stores under the brand names "Cato" and "It's Fashion."
Same-store sales, or sales at stores that have been open at least a year, rose 3 percent during the quarter.The company said second-quarter profit would be in a range of 48 cents to 54 cents per share. Cato also raised its 2009 profit forecast to $1.13 to $1.27 per share, from a prior view of 98 cents to $1.17 per share. Cato shares rose 59 cents, or 3.1 percent, to $19.39 in afternoon trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV